Julien's Faster than Light Blog

Jump to top
Saturday, January 09, 2016
 
Top Ten Animes


Movies and shows are mashed together.

1. Everything by Miyazaki

Miyazaki is the fucking winner here. It ain't even close. I can't believe you said that.

2. Puella Magi Madoka Magica

The feels. So beautiful. I cried. Legit.

3. Fist of the North Star

I fucking love that shit. I was tripping on acid though.

4. Space Battleship Yamato (original)

So good. And so many butts. Best intro ever.

5. Space Battleship Yamato (remake)

The butts get out of control here.

6. Death Note

Appeals to the 14 yo boy in you.

7. Kamisama Hajimemashita

Just found this, and I'm loving it.

8. The Legend of Korra

It's anime, fuckers. Don't be a dick.

9. World Conquest Zvezda Plot

8 yo girl tries to take over Japan. As awesome as it sounds.

10. Akira

Fuck you, it's good.

I probably missed something.
Comments:
I'm glad you made this list! I love Miyazaki's films (Spirited Away is my personal favorite). My first one was Princess Mononoke, which I believe we saw together at McClerg probably in the late 90's.
Diana and I watched Death Note a few years back and we were completely captivated. I'm also a fan of Grave of the Fireflies, and think it's a particularly useful corrective to our heroic american view on ww2.
So I know there is a lot of good anime out there that I'm missing, but I'm having a hard time finding it. I watched Akira a couple years back and unfortunately it didn't work for me. Recently, I watched the first episode of "Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood" (after searching the internet for anime recommendations). It seemed kind of bad. Also, Diana mocked me mercilessly throughout. I have threatened to watch more of it only when she is there to "enjoy" it.
 
I also did not enjoy Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. I had such a string of disliking recommended shows that I stopped watching anime for a while.

Have you seen The Wind Rises? That's my favorite Miyazaki.

My recommendations for you are either of the Yamato series or Legend of Korra. Puella Magi is fucking great but it's magical girls so you may or may not like that.
 
You may also like Ghost in the Shell.
 
Ha! Good ole McClerg.
 
Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger